Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bavarian Bier Cafe

Speaking of the Bavarian Bier Cafe, Dan and I had dinner there last Thursday. It was definitely a novelty type of experience.

As we walked into the dungeon (complete with huge old pans and pots hanging of the stone walls), the not so pleasant aroma filled our noses. We decided to not let that ruin our experience just yet.

The place was very busy and since we didn't book, we were seated at a table shared by another couple. A waiter dressed in traditional clothes came to us pretty quickly and explained the different types of dishes we weren't sure about.

Dan chose a selection of sausages with sauerkraut and mashed potato and I picked veal with German noodles and Gypsy sauce (which the waited advised was quite spicy).

We were really surprised with the taste. It was so much better than we expected. Dan loved the sausages platter and I couldn't get enough of the tender veal and soft noodles. The Gypsy sauce was not as hot as I expected.

We even tried one of the beers (considering the place was famous for that) - Bavarian Diesel (dark lager with Coca Cola). It was ok.

As we dined, we were entertained by musicians (also dressed in traditional clothes) who played some traditional upbeat tunes.

Overall, it was a great experience that I wouldn't mind repeating.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh that reminds me! I was supposed to have my actual birthday here. I had the best cocktail ever at the Kent (or was it York?) Street one, it was apple strudel flavoured and it was to die for... and apparently they have chocolate beer?!