Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Awkward Encounters of the Work Kind

While I still wholeheartedly support the unemployment cause, I've gone back to work at my casual job for a bit. I can still strongly relate to the unemployed because although it's career related, it's not exactly full time, nor is it what I want to be doing full time. That's on my 'to be decided' list still.

I wish I could write about the latest gossip at work but I'll probably get fired if I do that because I happen to work with people who are often publicly scrutinised and on the off chance this blog becomes popular, that would not bode well. Although that's a looong way away I suspect lol.

Anyway so today I ran into this guy in the lifts. He looked familiar but I couldn't quite place him. So I smiled at him politely as you do. Unfortunately for me he remembered exactly who I was and what I did. That made it awkward cos he seemed to know me a lot better than I knew him. I couldn't even remember how I met him. While he was asking about my job I was frantically trying to remember his. But I couldn't and so there was an awkward lull in the conversation,you know that pause when someone asks you about your life and waits for you to ask about theirs? That's what it was like. Him waiting for the question that would never come. Things weren't helped much when we both got out of the lifts on the same level and went into the same place. Luckily we finally went in different directions. 

Even now, several hours later, I still can't remember how I know him. Is it just me? Does that happen to other people too? I think I need to be more aware of everyone I meet.  

But the awkward encounters don't end there.

I also ran into the guy I went out with a couple of weeks ago. I didn't expect to be back at my old job when I went out with him, so I didn't really see it as a problem at the time. But as the saying goes, you shouldn't date people you work with. Cos it's awkward when you see them again. Very awkward. We managed to avoid any significant conversation beyond 'hi' and 'how are you' though. Mainly because I got out of there so quickly there wasn't a chance to say much more. It could have been worse. He even managed to look happy to see me, although I think that was just some good acting on his part. 

I have a feeling that was the first of many similar encounters to come though. It's inevitable. I will work on my acting skills. Or my running skills. 

No comments: