Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Vices of an Unemployed Person - #1 - Television

We started out creating this blog to entertain ourselves while unemployed. And maybe help other people in the same position as us. But a cursory search on Seek shows that there's not much out there right now. So what is an unemployed person to do when they can't find a suitable job to apply to?

Watch television of course. As the previous entry suggests, I like to watch, wait and write about it. 

This isn't restricted to television of course (stay tuned for the upcoming date entry - because unemployed people can also entertain themselves by going out on dates, usually bad ones), but I will start with my thoughts on the TV shows I've been watching lately, because I suspect other unemployed people watch televison too. Be warned, spoilers ahead!

How I Met Your Mother (4x18 - "Old King Clancy")

I love this show. I love Neil Patrick Harris. But mainly I love the group dynamic. When you take away the continuous drinking, it could be anybody's group of friends. Also for a sitcom, they have amazing continuity, slap bet anyone?  

In the latest episode, Ted discovers that Marshall & Barney have been lying to him about the fact he lost his job at their firm a few month ago. Meanwhile the rest of the gang try to figure out which celebrity took Robin back to their place, what this celebrity collected, and which sex act he wanted to do. The adult version of Cluedo I would say.

Some of the highlights from this episode for me were:

* Marshall reading a list of fish names. I don't think anyone but Jason Segel could make this funny (okay maybe Neil Patrick Harris), but it was funny. Maybe because Marshall honestly thought he was hilarious, or maybe the way he read each name with such conviction: 'Bass...this guy knows what I'm talking about'. It made me laugh. 

* The fact that there really is a Canadian sex acts website. And that Barney has it bookmarked. 

* Marhsall believing Barney's story about Dandelion. Lol. My favourite thing about Marshall's character is that innocence!

Gossip Girl (2x19: "The Grandfather")

I think this show has its ups and downs. The reason I continue to watch every episode is to see what will happen with Chuck and Blair. So you can imagine my horror at the final scene of 'The Grandfather' - Blair and Nate?? Again?? That is a *terrible* idea. And Nate is always portrayed as the 'nice' guy, when actually he slept with Serena while he was with Blair, and now it looks like he'll hook up with Blair while he's with Vanessa...

I can't help but wish they'd stop throwing obstacles in the path of Blair & Chuck getting together. Although I guess it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if they were a Rufus-Lily type couple.  But I mean really, Nate?? Hasn't the Blair-Nate relationship been done to death?

I look forward to Chuck & Vanessa's revenge next week. 

5 comments:

Amanda said...

There's something off about this season of GG. Lately I'm only watching it for the clothes & accessories. Boring!

Zoe said...

When is it on? I've heard so much about it but never actually seen it.

Amanda said...

It's on FOX8 on Tuesdays... that's not much help for you though :P

Zoe said...

Do you know that CBS made that website for the show? (I thought it was real at first.)

The First March Girl said...

Yup, they usually create sites for most websites mentioned on the show, e.g. Barney's video resume hehe.