Sunday, March 29, 2009

Saving Money in Times of Unemployment

Today I unitentionally discovered a great way of saving money. I went to do the Bondi-Coogee walk with a friend and since it's a 12km walk, I didn't want to carry much, so instead of taking my wallet, I just took $20, figuring that would be enough for food. 

What I didn't account for was that it would get chilly in the afternoon. After we'd done the walk and drank our boost juices, I was very cold. So I thought, not a problem, I'll just buy a jacket. Right? Wrong. I didn't have enough money to buy both the jacket and eat dinner, so being practical as ever, I chose to eat dinner. 

And there you go, money saved on a jacket because not only did I not bring enough cash, I also foolishly left my credit card and bank card at home in my wallet. I shouldn't say foolishly because it worked out rather well in the end - in the sense that I saved money. Not in the sense that I had to remain cold...

However what I've learned from this experience is to either take more money or take my bankcard (or hey, even a jacket...), but perhaps others will learn from my experience and see it as a good way of saving money! Just don't take a lot of money to begin with! And leave those cards at home!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

If you take your bankcard there's no stopping you from spending though!

The First March Girl said...

Yes I know, but that's just me, I don't like to be cold. If you prioritise saving money you could leave your bankcard and credit card at home!

Amanda said...

If only I could :(